Gulf Coast Hurricane Tracker

A single source reference on tropical weather predictions. With a traditional focus on the upper Texas and Louisiana Gulf Coast we've maintained links to track all Atlantic Basin, Caribbean and eastern Pacific storm systems. We are now expanding our view to tropical storms throughout the world intending to be a comprehensive global storm tracking resource.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Central Pacific activity expected to be light

NOAA released its projection today that the Central Pacific basin will have a lighter tropical season than normal this year. The tropical season in the Central Pacific begins on June 1 and is expected to have only 2 - 4 tropical cyclones this year.

NOAA expects below normal central Pacific hurricane season (Hawaii News Now)


HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - NOAA's Central Pacific Hurricane Center said Wednesday that projected climate conditions point to a below normal hurricane season in the Central Pacific Basin this year.

NOAA continues to urge Hawaii residents to be fully prepared for the onset of the hurricane season, which begins on June 1.

"Now is the time to prepare for the hurricane season in the central Pacific," said Ray Tanabe, director of the Central Pacific Hurricane Center, part of NOAA's National Weather Service. "Last year we had a quiet season. It is definitely not the time to let our guard down."

--snip--

For 2011, the outlook calls for a 70% chance of a below normal season, a 25% chance of a near normal season, and a 5% chance of an above normal season.

NOAA expects 2-4 tropical cyclones to affect the central Pacific this season. An average season has 4-5 tropical cyclones, which include tropical depressions, tropical storms, and hurricanes.

This outlook is a general guide to the overall seasonal hurricane activity and does not predict whether, where, when, or how many of these systems will affect Hawaii. Once a tropical cyclone forms in or migrates into the central Pacific or moves into the area, the Central Pacific Hurricane Center swings into action.

Even though the level of activity is expected to be below normal this year, preparation is still important. Hawaiian residents still should be aware of conditions and take the appropriate actions for approaching storms.

The year that Hurricane Andrew raked a path across southern Florida , there had only been two or three storms all year. Andrew was the first and never formed until late September that year. Likewise an active year does not guarantee landfall as was seen during last year's Atlantic Hurricane season.

Only one storm can have a major impact. The key is to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Once you have the preparations taken care of then you can enjoy the tropical breezes and hot sunny days.

|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

2010 Atlantic Hurricanes (courtesy of Weatherstreet.com)

NOAA Gulf of Mexico Radar (courtesy of Weatherstreet.com)

NOAA West Atlantic & Caribbean Radar (courtesy of Weatherstreet.com)

NOAA East Atlantic Radar (courtesy of Weatherstreet.com)